Saturday, January 14, 2012

Regrets. Re: Denim

When I hear celebrities and politicians answer the question, "Do you have any regrets?" and answer something along the line of "No -- because I wouldn't be who I am today without the mistakes of the past" -- I know they're lying. Everyone has regrets. They can be big, and they can be small. I think it's the small ones that usually get to me. Because as corny and cliche'ed as that celebrity line is, they may have a point when it comes to big regrets. Relationships gone south, career decisions, drug addictions (that one is the major celebrity one....not mine) -- those could really alter the course of the rest of your life, so I guess -- fine -- I'll leave those alone.

But the small ones. Those regrets nag at me. Like this morning when I went to my jeans drawer. Yes, I have a jeans drawer. I made a conscious decision this past year to dedicate a drawer to jeans. Because jeans should be easy. All the time. And hanging up clothes is not easy for me. If jeans are the easy clothes to wear, to match, to maintain, to wash (or not to wash....because you know you don't have to wash them every time!) -- then they should not be difficult to store.

Anyway, as I dug into my jeans drawer and passed over all my jeans to go to ===aaaaahhh=== my favorite jeans, I felt the pang of regret. Why did I not do more? I could have done SO MUCH MORE!!! (That's from some famous movie I think -- Schindler's List? I know it from Seinfeld quoting it though...) See, let me explain. Earlier this year, I found my jean's body double...in the form of an ebay seller. She is shorter than petite, which is me...but she is not petite in the other areas....which is also me. She pays good money to have these jeans professionally hemmed. She also has extremely expensive taste in designer jeans and she is not too confident, I guess, that she can sell them for a high price. So consequently I have a pair of $200 jeans that I got for $13. They are sooo choice! If you have $13, I highly recommend them. But she also had like 6 other pairs of jeans for sale, and I bought only 2. Both of which "capture my essence" as my hubs likes to put it. I hope she purges her closet again soon.

I'm not quite here yet. 
(Mom jeans - property of SNL)

No comments:

Post a Comment